Summary of the Application Process
The following is an outline of the hiring process. Each stage must be successfully completed before proceeding to the next step.
- Application - To be considered for employment with the Big Spring Fire Department, interested persons must complete the online application for Firefighter/EMT. Applications must be submitted by the listed application deadline. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Written Examination - Non-certified applicants applying for entry level positions with the Big Spring Fire Department are required to take the Civil Service written competitive examination. Non-certified applicants must pass the written exam with a minimum score of 70%. If applicable, you must submit a Form DD-214 Form 4 or NGB Form 22 (if you have been a member of the National Guard) to verify an honorable or general discharge under honorable conditions from the military and receive a passing grade of 70% to receive an 5 points added to the final examination grade. Certified applicants will not be required to take the entry level written examination.
- Physical Ability Test - Both certified and non-certified applicants (who pass the written examination with a minimum score of 70%) are required to successfully complete the Physical Agility Test. Applicants must submit the BSFD Physician Certification for Physical Agility form with the online application in order to be permitted to take the Physical Agility Test.
- Eligibility List - The eligibility list will consist of certified and non-certified candidates who successfully complete entry level testing. Certified candidates will be ranked based on certifications as follows:
- First Preference: Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician - Paramedic
- Second Preference: Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate
- Third Preference: Firefighter and Emergency Medical Technician - Basic
- Non-certified candidates will be ranked on the Eligibility list based on their score on the written examination. Hiring preference for non-certified candidates will be applied as follows:
- First Preference: Firefighter Only
- Second Preference: Emergency Medical Technician - Any level
- Third Preference: No certifications
- The eligibility list shall be in effect for one year from the date of the examination, unless exhausted earlier. The City Manager will make initial appointments from the current eligibility list.
- Background Investigation - A thorough background investigation is conducted to verify information received in your application packet. If applicable, a follow-up interview may be conducted to clarify information received during the background investigation.
- Polygraph - Polygraph examinations are performed on all candidates to ensure truthfulness of all information provided from the application process.
- Oral Interview - Candidates will be required to appear before a panel of Fire Department and other City of Big Spring Management staff for interview. The interview will cover information obtained about the applicant during the previous stages. The applicant will be asked questions designed to demonstrate certain knowledge, skills and abilities considered basic for effective performance as a firefighter/EMS Technician with the Big Spring Fire Department.
- Terms/Conditional Job Offer - A conditional job offer will be extended to eligible applicants by the Human Resources department prior to the required medical assessment. The conditional offer will be withdrawn if:
- The applicant tests positive for controlled substances;
- The medical practitioner(s) reveals any areas of concern;
- There are any other indicators which would be contraindication of good moral character for employment with the City of Big Spring Fire Department.
- Medical Assessment - After the conditional offer is made, applicants must complete a drug screen, Work Steps/job specific agility test, and a physical examination conducted by a designated physician/certified medical provider. The physician/certified medical provider will assess each candidate's physical/mental condition(s) to ensure he/she can function safely as a firefighter.
- A final offer of employment and start date will be made after satisfactory completion of all portions of the selection process. Failure of any portion of the conditional offer testing will constitute the automatic withdrawal of any conditional offer of employment made by the City of Big Spring