- Fire Department
- Work for the Department
- Fire Department Applications
Fire Department Applications
Completing the firefighter application is the first step in becoming a firefighter for the City of Big Spring. Applications MUST be completed ONLINE.
Before applying for a position with the Big Spring Fire Department, please be sure you meet the minimum qualifications and do not meet any of the listed disqualifications. Please follow all the instructions in the online application packet and make sure that all questions are answered. Online applications must be completed and submitted by the listed application deadline.
Late applications will not be accepted. You will be asked for the following information in the online application.
- Information about current driver's license.
- Employment history for the last five employers. If the five listed employers do not cover a time period of at ten years, applicants will need to enter additional employment history to cover a time span of ten years.
- Education history to include high school and any college or specialized training. A copy of applicants' diploma, General Educational Development (GED), college degree(s) and/or transcript(s) will be requested at a later date.
- Information for any Firefighter/EMT certifications and/or training. Applicants must attach copies of active certifications, if applicable, to the online application.
- Personal references. Applicants must list ten (10) people he or she has known for at least five (5) years excluding relatives or former supervisors. Applicants must provide a complete address and phone number for each reference.
- Applicant will be asked to provide information regarding any conviction, guilty plea, deferred adjudication, or any form of court supervision for any criminal offense (misdemeanors and felonies, including DWI, DUI, more than two speeding tickets) other than a minor traffic violation (I.e. parking, speeding) within the last ten (10) years.
Note: Your application is not complete until ALL required documentation has been submitted.
Sending an Application
Applications must be submitted online. The Human Resources office does not distribute or accept paper applications. Online applications must be submitted by 5 p.m. on the posted deadline. Applications will be reviewed to determine which applicants qualify to take the written examination. Applicants will be notified of this decision by email.
Contact the Human Resources Department
It is not necessary for applicants to contact the Human Resources Department after the online application has been submitted. If you are among the eligible applicants for a firefighter position, you will be emailed a testing notification. If your application is incomplete or your are ineligible to test, you will be notified by email.
After you have submitted an application, you are required to inform the Human Resources department of any changes i.e. address, phone number, application with other departments, change in certification status, etc. Failure to do so may result in disqualification of your application.